164 "Brake" & "Pad Wear" lights flashing

I have recently tried (unsuccessfully) to replace the O2 sensor in my 164.  In
disconnecting
and reconnecting the wires to the sensor, I reached through the opening in the
wheel arch above the
steering box, thus moving a lot of cables and wires in that area.
Shortly after I put everything together, the "Brake" & "Pad Wear" light would
go on and off together
while driving the car.  It seems as if I disturbed some connection while
working on the O2 sensor.
I'll be replacing the front pads soon, but somehow I don't think that's the
problem.  Can anyone
explain how the circuit works and how to diagnose the problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Antonio Riso
1991 164L auto