Repost: Steering wheel removal

Somebody please give me some advise on how to do this properly.  I have
removed the center plastic hub(?) from my 105 2000 GTV steering wheel.
There is a nut and some sort of  a locking plate behind it.  After removing
both, the wheel still cannot be removed.  Is there anything I am missing?  I
don't want to force the wheel off just in case there is a better way.
Somebody please let me know how to do this with care.   Thanks in advance!

Mark