Re: 6 foot spider drivers

Have you checked to see how far back the seat goes? My veloce seats will go
all the way back until they are jamb up against the rear package shelf. Maybe
there is something blocking the travel of your seat.

Otherwise, I suggest that you buy an 87 Spider. I am 6' 2" tall, weigh 210
pounds and have no problem with room in my 87. In fact I sit with the seat up
one or two notches from the far back position because, otherwise, I have to
hunch forward to reach the steering wheel. I have considerably more legroom
and headroom in my Spider than my friend has in his Mercedes 560SL.

I do have a slight problem with my right thigh coming into contact with the
shift knob in second gear if I wear thick soled running shoes or boots, but
that is remedied by wearing driving mocs or taking my shoes off. (Thick soled
shoes do not cut-it on size 14 feet in a Spider footwell.) I understand that
the shifter can be rotated to the right so that it will not hit my thigh but
the problem is not bad enough to force me to spend a weekend adjusting shift
knobs.

In looking, I have noticed some differences in the 91 and later dashes, ie;
they have a knee guard as part of the driver restraint system. However, that
should not cause interference with the steering wheel.

By the way, if you are the gent who posted earlier about purchasing a
"perfect" 91, I have a comment on the first gear syncronizer problem. While
all my gears will crunch if I get impatient, first is an enigma. When
downshifting from second while the car is moving it does not crunch. However,
if I shift into neutral and take my foot off the clutch at a light then push
in the clutch and shift into first it will crunch bigtime. Very odd. My cure
is to either depress the clutch and give the gear about 10 seconds to spin
down or to tap it into second before sliding it into first.

Oh, and (ooohhh) that smell. If you stay with the digest you will find that
odor containment is a major recurring theme. Mildew mixed with hot dirty oil
and decaying organic padding materials. Gas vapors mysteriously wafting into
the cabin. Two pieces of advice: Drive with the top down. Keep your engine
and transmission clean, especially between the cam covers and the exhaust
manifold. Keep your gas cap on tight (believe me). I  have found that the
vanilla air fresheners work best...

I think the 91 is a good looking car and I like the clean lines. Certainly my
old 87 is a blast to drive. Good luck with your purchase.

Mike Morgan
Atlanta Georgia