RE: The Rover-ing kind...

~<<  I'd probably buy another Rover if they still made cars like that

~
~But they do.... What about the 75 ?

I guess that's a fair comment, but there's a difference as there is
between transaxle Alfas and FWD. I've driven a (Rover) 75 and thoroughly
enjoyed it and all the expected attributes were there as well as a few
that I didn't expect. But despite it's undoubted excellence and a build
quality that at last justifies Rover badges it wasn't that P6 - it
didn't have that individuality, presence and poise that the V8 engined
cars did(How did I come to be defending a bit of GM designed iron.. er..
alloy... on the Alfa digest?)

The 75 is very much designed as a car for an international market and
has elements that show the effect of market researchers and design
surveys. The P6 was completely unique and has a special place as its
the car that really broke the "Aunty" legacy. Alfa always made sporting
cars, but despite the P6, SD1 and even the frightening and very fast 220
Turbo, Rover still have a somewhat stodgy image, one sadly cheapened in
later years by trying to selling as Rovers cars that were better sold as
Austins.

Aidrian

---