Spider steering

After opening my steering box, cleaning it up and filling it with triple A
grease (neat stuff) I set about to adjusting it. To recap, this is a '72
Spider with a Burnman (sp) steering box.

I have a couple of questions:

I can adjust the freeplay by adding or removing shims from underneath the
spring cap pressure plate (the oval plate on top of the box) Right now I
have about 12 degrees of free play which is probably a bit too much. The car
is still on jackstands so it's kind of hard to do this by feel so I was
wondering if there is anything specific as far as what it should be.
Probably not but figured I'd ask just in case.

I installed a chassis stiffener during the restoration and right now I have
2 turns from center to left turn stop and I'm about 120 degrees short of two
turns going to the right turn stop. Does anyone know what it's supposed to
be? The stops were adjusted by adding the thickness of the chassis stiffener
plate but I can't be sure that they were correct to begin with.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me. Project Alfa probably would have
been running by next week but my Mom called and I need to go down there
tomorrow and help her pick up a new table. Sheesh, I'll never get this thing
done!

Wish me luck.

The other
Paul Irvine - Antioch CA