Bonneville Update - 8/14/02

After spending the night in Impound, Bonnie was replenished with ice and
pushed to the Start Line of the Long Course at 6:45 a.m.  While we were
getting Craig strapped in for his record run, backing up the previous day's
qualifying run of 203.35 mph, a photographer from European Car Magazine
stopped by us in the Staging Lane and snapped a bunch of pictures.  When he
found out we had exceeded 200 mph on three consecutive runs and were backing
up a qualifying run, he was VERY interested. (More on this later.)

Craig's record run was 202.88 mph, which yielded a New Bonneville Land Speed
Record in B/GFMS of 203.108 MPH!!!!!  Craig had just beaten Mike's record of
the previous day and set a new LSR.  Woo Hoo!!

As soon as the crew was finished with the "high-fives", the ice chest was
restocked with 25 lbs of ice and the 118 octane fuel was topped off.  Bill
Lightfoot made his licensing run on the Short Course to earn his "C" license
with a conservative run of 152 mph.  Bill is a very colorful fellow with
years of SCCA and vintage racing experience and never fails to do something
interesting at the ends of his runs to catch the attention of the SCTA
officials.  He is a high-level manager with General Dynamics who has managed
to bend the ear of Bob Lutz, (yes, THE Bob Lutz of General Motors) in the
hopes of generating some sponsorship money for the Alfa Bonneville project.
Since I am not at liberty to divulge his rather candid response or his
attitude towards Fiat's management, I will simply say, we ain't getting any
dough, although he did seem very interested in what we were doing.

Although we managed to race a turbocharged four-cylinder 2.0 litre Alfa
Spider in excess of 200 mph on four runs, set a new LSR record, and then beat
that record the very next day, the team has struggled with many obstacles.
Air density, which can range from 5400 ft to 7600 ft elevation (on the same
day!) has proven maddening.  At thinner air, we have less wind resistence but
the turbo has to work harder to make boost.  When the temperature is cooler
and air is denser, we can make more boost but we have more drag on the car.
Wind direction and speed changes constantly.  On most days, we are running
with a 3-7 mph cross wind, but at times we might have a headwind or a
tailwind, which has a huge impact on top speed.  We've had to overcome
computer glitches in order to acquire data from the various runs for Jim
Steck and Eric Storhok to analyze and utilize to tweak the Electromotive
system for maximum performance.  We've also had to deal with the human
factor, both with the drivers and the crew.  Mike missed third and shifted to
fifth on his first 200 mph run, which easily killed 3 mph of top speed).
We've also had differing opinions within the crew itself which has caused
some tension and bruised egos.  In the end though, the team worked together
to make the fastest four-cylinder Alfa in the world FASTER.  Although I poked
some fun at the engineers, I have to say we wouldn't be where we are today
without their invaluable experience and expertise.  (One of these days, I
might even begin to understand just what the hell they do with those data
graphs and charts.)

After Bill Lightfoot's licensing run, the crew disassembled the turbo system.
 The team owner decided to run against the G/BGMS record (2.0 litre blown gas
modified sports) which currently stands at 211 mph.  Since we needed to make
up at least 9 mph, Jim Steck felt that in order for us take the record, we
needed more boost from the turbo.  The thin air at Bonneville was just
killing us.  Even though the turbo was putting out 24 psi of boost on Steck's
dyno in Ohio, the boost gauge on the Flat regularly maxed out at 22-23 lbs.
Late Wednesday afternoon, Steck and the crew swapped out the smaller exhaust
turbine housing from the blown 1470 in an effort to generate more boost.  The
smaller exhaust nozzle would spin the turbine blades faster and hopefully
give us around 27 psi of boost.  The downside of the equation was more
backpressure and a LOT more heat under the hood.  Since more boost means more
horsepower, we had no choice but to give it a try, if we hoped to take the
record.  In order to reduce drag on the car, the chin spoiler was removed and
the rear strakes were trimmed a full inch.  The car would be slightly less
stable, but arguably faster.  (Coincidentally, while Bonnie was in the pits
receiving her turbo swap, the race courses had been shut down due to a 20 mph
cross wind, with gusts up to 25, so we lost virtually no race time.)  The
turbo swap was finished around 8:00 p.m. and the team headed back to the
hotel completely exhausted.

Darren (fingers firmly crossed) Besic
Bonneville LSR Team