Re: ZF tranny and syncros

In AD8-1016 Alan Alfaxtc writes "I'm alittle confused.  The sticker on the
trunk of my Milano Verde says "gearbox ZF" does that mean the Milano trans is
ZF design, Alfa built?  Why does the Spider sticker also say 'gearbox ZF'?"

Well, my turn to be a little confused; that is an effective riposte to my
recent assertions about Alfa gearboxes. My Milano isn't a Verde, and my last
spider left over thirty years ago, so I can't match my cars to his. If the
stickers on the trunk of his Verde say "gearbox ZF" and the sticker on his
late Spider also say "gearbox ZF", I can't argue with the stickers. Checked my
Platinum, and the lubrication sticker on the left inside of the trunk does say
that the steering rack is ZF, but doesn't identify the manufacturer of the
gearbox.

If anybody else has other information on who made which Alfa gearboxes in
which years, I would welcome further input.

Alan adds "Then I have another question why doesn't Alfa use a ZF trans?" That
is a pretty open-ended question - why don't they do X instead of Y? for every
imaginable X and Y. Inscrutable Milanese -  Any suggestions?

Cheers

John H.