Synchro wear and double clutching

Imagine how long first gear synchro lasted if you upshifted at redline, i e revved the engine to redline then selected first gear (even with the clutch disengaged!) or downshifted from second without double clutching. Second gear works hardest only because first gear isn't abused in this way. Second gear is a big piece of steel and spins quickly when you are in the upper gears. Definitely double clutch if you are skip shifting down the box, and I do it anyway without a thought now I've been driving manual boxes for 30 years. It isn't just Alfa's that don't appreciate being speedshifted at redline or downshifted with no attempt to match gear speeds.

A double clutch downshift to second gear is very beneficial, provided you do in fact match the gear speeds. Over revving a double clutch shift is worse than just letting the synchro do the work.

I have found most cars benefit enormously from a double clutch downshift into first gear. In fact, many boxes will baulk badly unless you at least try to match gear speeds on the downshift by double clutching. Having said that I always found it ironic that the second gear synchro supposedly so weak in Alfa gearboxes could handle a non double clutched downshift into second but would crunch on the way up the box!

Heel and toe is only necessary to achieve this if you are diving into a corner under trail braking, but once the habit is developed it is hard to break (as well as pointless to break such a beneficial habit, if you double clutch you might just as well heel and toe, if you also need to brake as you approach the corner) Older Alfa's are awful to heel and toe. Starting with the Alfetta series they became much easier. the best was the GTV6 IMHO, though my 164 is fairly easy to do, the brake and gas are too far apart and the brake pedal a bit high. I blame that on three factors. First, the dreaded Audi unintentional acceleration fiasco seems to have influenced ergonomic guys into separating the brake and gas pedals by more distance than is useful, second we rarely get deep into the brakes on the street, which is when the brake pedal gets down to where the gas pedal is normally and after all you should really be hard on the brakes if you feel the absolute need to heel and toe, and our need for relaxed highway cruising in North America means the ideal height for the gas pedal for spirited driving is quite a bit higher than for cruising at 70 mph in a powerful modern car. I recall the best way to drive a Lancia Beta fast was with hands at 8 and 4 on the wheel and both feet off the floor!!!

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada