Re: 164 Gear

Matthew,

Apologies if your post has already been answered, but I'm still missing ADs
at my work e-mail.

Here are some things to check:

* Make sure that you have used the correct oil grade.
* Are your clutch master and slave cylinders working OK?  If not, your
clutch might not be releasing properly.
* The 164 has a gear linkage on the selector shaft - between the firewall
and the gearbox.  Check that this is sound.
* The gear linkage is mounted on a reaction rod - this allows the entire
gear linkage mechanism to move a little when the engine flexes on its
mounts.  There is a rubber bush at the engine end, and a rubber sliding
bush under the centre console in the cabin.  If either of these are worn,
shifting can be difficult - the engine end bush in my 164 went west a
couple of years ago - changing it made the shift mechanism smooth and
precise.  It had always been spongy, but it deteriorated quickly once it
let go.

I would check that these things are OK before you suspect anything
internal.

Hope this is helpful!

Regards,
John Wiltshire
Sydney Australia

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing and using the information.
Please contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.