Milano turn signal cancellation

The turn signal cancellation on the 2.5 Milano still has me stupmed. I thought it was just going to be a matter of securing the little white collar with the tabs on it to the steering column. But upon installing the new switch, I discovered that those tabs don't even engage the cancellation mechcanism on the switch, and it doesn't look like they're worn or broken. Bill McFarland send me pictures of his Milano Verde steering column, etc, with the wheel off, and it appears that this collar is responsible for turn signal cancellation on his car, but that it has much bigger tabs on it. While the tabs on the collar on my buddy's 2.5 don't appear worn or broken, the white plastic thing that clips onto the back of the wheel and powers the horn does appear to be broken in two areas that lead me to believe that it had the tabs that interfaced with the column switch. I know 2.5 and 3.0 cars have different switches, but do they have different cancellation mechanisms too? Someone who has performed this repair on a 2.5 Milano, please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6