Belts and synchros

In thinking just a little more about this, I probably missed the outright
likelihood that the majority of the belt connections were likely made to this
(other) car's cage, with some other kind of connection to the bottom buckle of
the rear passenger.

As for shifting, I would love for Fred's method to work, but can't seem to get
it right.  Upshifting after redlining 1st gear always crunches, even after
jamming the clutch pedal all the way down and waiting what seems an eternity.
Perhaps I've done something else wrong.  Downshifting nearly works, so maybe
that requires more practice.  But what about downshifting while braking?  And
for that matter, if you are using engine braking, does it hurt to yank the car
out of gear w/out declutching?

Darren
83 GTV6