Re: She cannah take tha' mooch pawr-r-r, Cahptain!

I have a question and a comment regarding the thread on headlights.
Question:  I have quite old European lights on my quite old cars--Marchal
Ampilux (sp?) on the 72 Alfa.  They were much better than the sealed-beam
tungsten lamps (mandated by pressure to our gov from the sealed beam makers
union, I've heard) that were available in the 70's.  I also have had, for
decades, the plexiglas light covers.  How do my old Marchal lamps compare
to new Eurospec ones?   Do I lose much light by reflection/scattering from
the covers?  Comment:  My wife's Audi has Xenon lights and they are
fantastic.  They have sharp cutoffs, but are so bright if you look into
them that they should have a leveling mechanism for hills (as is required,
I think, in Europe).  I think these lights will completely replace filament
bulbs (they're only about 35 watts, too, and last a long time).  One other
thing--we middle aged or older guys need to realize that there are subtle
changes in vision with aging.  One is poorer vision in the dark--not so
obvious, but comprising mainly loss of higher visual function, like depth,
separating objects from shadows, etc.  More light helps alot.

Bob Wilkinson
72 Spider (a lot younger than I am)