Re: She cannah take tha' mooch pawr-r-r, Cahptain!

I did a similar modification to my first Uno Turbo.  For a car rated at 200km/h it had
pathetic headlights, but all Fiat did was fit a bigger motor etc and left the rest of the
wiring as per the lower spec models.

I ran a huge cable from the battery (located just behind left headlamp) don't recall the
exact wire gauge but the same as used between the alternator and battery - maybe 6 gauge?
and fitted an air conditioning thermal circuit breaker rated at 30A in this line.  This
wire
daisy-chained to all the headlamp locations.  The original wiring to the headlamp
filaments was used to drive 4 x 30A relays, 2 for the low beams and 2 for the high
beams, the relays being mounted right behind the headlamps with minimal wiring lengths and
beefed up the ground wires.  I then could fit 100/130W lamps which made a huge difference,
with upgraded lamp connectors as the original crappy plastic ones melted in short time!

The current through the wiring & steering column switches for the headlamps was so high in
the
original wiring that I had almost 3V drop from the battery to the headlamp terminals, the
lights were like candles!  Having examined the wiring I discovered that the gauge was so
small I wouldn't even use it for sidelights.  A typical case of cost cutting?

John
Durban
South Africa
Alfetta 1.8L turbo
Fiat Uno Turbo
Ford GT40 kit car - I will have the motor running tomorrow!!!