Re: Di Matteo shifting

Pottree@domain.elided wrote:
You want to do something nice for the transmission, take it out for a gelato. You want to drive, listen to Fred. Subtext: you do not need to baby an Alfa and if you do eventually it will be insulted and give up on you. I do not mean be stupid and abusive (save that for other marques) but I am with Fred on this: double declutching has been an unnecessary and an antique notion on road cars (Alfas) for 40 years.
Are you saying that with good synchros double-declutching is unnecessary? I'll buy that. But I've found no other reliable technique to get my transmission to shift without grinding.

Of course, I believe my transmission is on it's original synchros at 118k miles and counting. I bought my car a few thousand miles ago, and have records going back to the first owner (starting around 50k miles) and see no record of transmission work. So they are definately on the to-do list for this winter. Till then I'll double-clutch.

--Mark