Di Matteo shifting

In a message dated 8/6/2002 3:58:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Well, OK, this [depressing clutch completely and maintaining throttle during
> shift] matches speeds nicely for a smooth re-engagement
> of the engine to the drivetrain, but it does exactly nothing
> for the transmission.  This discussion has been about syncros
> and matching RPMs internally to the transmission.
> - --
> jw
You want to do something nice for the transmission, take it out for a gelato.
 You want to drive, listen to Fred.  Subtext: you do not need to baby an Alfa
and if you do eventually it will be insulted and give up on you.  I do not
mean be stupid and abusive (save that for other marques) but I am with Fred
on this: double declutching has been an  unnecessary and an antique notion on
road cars (Alfas) for 40 years.  Plus, very few people have the right size
feet to heel-and-toe in an Alfa.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA