2nd gear synchro wear

In a message dated 8/6/2002 3:58:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I'd like to know why the second gear synchro is so prone to early
> retirement.
> If you look at the tranny internals, there is no diference between the
> second
> gear assembly and any of the others, one through five. So owing to the
> collective understanding of this shifter-shortcoming, has anyone ever
> suggested a cure? Titanium synchro rings? Radical gear lightening? What is
> the present thinking?

When I was in high school my friends who were sentenced to study German
always reported on the eccentric behavior of the German teacher.  He had,
among other quirks, a litany of quirky classroom phrases, and among them was
one that in those simpler times became a buzz term around the whole school:
You answered your own question!

There is no difference that I know of between the 2nd gear synchro and other
others, and thereby (hold on!) lies the rub!  Second is used MORE than the
others, so it gets more wear. In an alternate universe, perhaps there would
be a stronger second synchro for this reason, but why bother on an Alfa when
they believe that the little toy will be sent off to the crusher or some
third world backwater such as the USA when it gets old enough to invoke the
old-car tax penalty and any sensible driver would get a new car -- long
before the 2nd gear synchro issue crops up.

BTW, saw a beautiful silver 156 sport wagon on a Helsinki street last week.
I am no fan of sedans, and less of wagons, but somehow this was stunning!

However, it will be over the hill in 4 or 5 years, at about the time lapels
and ties change width or skirt lengths go down or up (according, they say, to
the economy).

Back here in the USA we tend to think of Alfas as evergreen, but on their
home turf I suspect they are considered perishable, like fruit or fish.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA