'87 Spider AC hose replacement

When I got the car I knew the AC wasn't working; the
reason, I discovered, was that the metal end of the low pressure input hose,
at the
compressor, was cracked in half, at the right-angle bend, exposed to the
elements. I taped things up, but who knows what may have been ingested. Is
there a  posting somewhere on this subject that I should consult? Is
replacing
the hose as dreadful as I think it is? (Under dash work is not much fun,
especially when you get older!) I assume that I'll be rebuilding the
compressor, and .... what else to do? The Service Manual is of no help
regarding
hose replacement.  Any tips or suggestions most appreciated.
Cheers,
Jim Hillesheim
Lawrence, Kansas
'87 Spider Veloce