Re: no-clutch shifting an Alfa

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:58:30 -0400  "Watry, Andrew (LNG-MBC)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided> wrote:

> Once in 1978 when my "friend" exploded the clutch plate on my old Super
> power-shifting it, I drove it home from Lakeside, CA to Carlsbad, CA, a
> total of more than 50 miles, with no clutch whatsoever.

i'm also accustomed to this from early saab 99s, which had a clutch slave
that was exposed to the elements. they would periodically blow their seals,
leaving the driver to work out the easiest possible path to the parts store
for a rebuild kit or a replacement.

it really wasn't that hard if you planned ahead and were "soft" with the
shifter.

richard