no-clutch shifting an Alfa

Once in 1978 when my "friend" exploded the clutch plate on my old Super
power-shifting it, I drove it home from Lakeside, CA to Carlsbad, CA, a
total of more than 50 miles, with no clutch whatsoever.  Once I got rolling,
it was no problem at all to shift up or down without the clutch, if you were
attentive and gentle, could feel the right rpm, and were not on the gas
during the shift.  Luckily it was mostly freeway driving and I encountered
no stop-and-go traffic on the way, something not possible in San Diego
County today.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register