Re: removal of hub from front disc rotor

Materials needed: Two cement blocks. One used brake pad or similar sized flat chunk of metal. One sledgehammer.

Procedure: Put the cement blocks about 4" apart, put the rotor over the gap with the hub facing up, and place the brake pad on top of the hub to protect it. Then WHACK it.

It sounds severe, but, if your hub/rotors are anything like mine were, you'll need it. I was begining to question whether they were ever two separate pieces. I had tried using a piece of wood to cushion the hub, but it absorbed too much impact. Even a full swing didn't budge it. I then switched to using the brake pad as a cushion, gave it a good hard whack, and *pink* it just popped appart. It seems the sharpness of the impact is more important than the overall amount of kinetic energy delivered.

I will say that if I had a hydrualic press I would have probably tried it first.

--Mark

Joseph Kanellopoulos wrote:

Fellow digesters, I need help again, I am trying to remove the hub from the
rotor in the front in my Milano and the hub and the rotor seem to have been
rusted into one solid piece.

Any suggestions?  Is a hydraulic press my last and only resort? IF so how
should it be pressed out so no damage to the bearing and seal is done?