Alfa Adventure

This weekend I ran in a mtn bike race down in Helen, Georgia, about 200 miles away. It was a really hot weekend, with temps in the low to mid 90s. I took the old grey berlina, and had two bikes mounted on a recently acquired thule roof rack. It was a pleasant drive, with at least 120 of the miles on where-the-hell-am-I back roads. Got some cool car comments and everything was pretty Ok until I was 25 miles from home.

I was pushing 80 on the interstate coming home trying to keep up with some babe in her new BMW I noticed the temp gauge was pegged at 250! Awk! Turned on the heater and blower and no hot air came out! Double Awk! I turned off the engine and coasted to the next interstate exit, where I was able to get to a gas station.

The engine did not smell cooked, and there was no obvious damage. I refilled the radiator, but found that water just ran out of the water pump. Near as I can tell the water was coming out of that weep hole on the bottom of the housing for the impeller shaft forward of the bearing. Bummer. Then I filled the coolant system and reinstalled the radiator cap and found the flow of water from the pump was significantly reduced. When I started the engine (which still ran fine) the water pump leaked quite a bit, but...

SO I had a couple of coolers and two gallons of drinking water from the bike race. The gas station gave me 4 more empty gallon jugs. I set off with 6 gallons of water in an effort to make it home. I would drive the berlina to speed then switch off the motor and coast, the restart and accelerate back up to speed and coast again. It would take about 5 miles before the temp gauge would get to half way between 175 and 250, then I would pull off and add nearly two gallons of water. Stopped about every 5 miles and made it home, had to get more water at several stops.

I guess my water pump needs replacement. At this point, I'd rather put on the new water pump I have and see how the rest of the engine fared. Yes it did get pretty hot, but never got to meltdown and never got that really hot stinky burned oil smell. Suppose I should get the radiator serviced while I'm doing the pump...

//kct --