Coolant In Spark Plug Wells

I appear to have coolant in the #2 & 3 plug wells in my 86 Spider, upon
inspection I noticed that the PO and/or his mechanic, failed to replace the
hoist mount on the cylinder head when rebuilding it. Replaced them with 2
thin washers on the head nuts between #2 & 3.
Question is, could this be the culprit? What kind of damage could have been
done to the head gasket?
All replies please.
Off to find a compression gauge.
Kurt