Re[2]: Supercharge my GTV? Pt 1

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:10:12 -0700 Tony Sims <simstony@domain.elided> wrote:
>  I seem to recall a lot of car companies are considering "high
> voltage"
> electrical systems (42 v?  48 v?) for the future, so there's even more
> power
> to drive the fan.
>
> Engineering types, care to weigh in?

yes (i'm not an engineer, but i play one on the network).

the power has to come from somewhere -- and it comes from the alternator.
the open question then is whether an electric fan, obtaining power from the
alternator, is an efficient way of pressurizing the intake charge, by way
of comparison with traditional turbo or super chargers, and whether it can
pressurize enough to really be worthwhile.

the lack of "factory" "electric superchargers" suggests that throughout the
world, automotive engineers don't think it is worthwhile.

richard