re: How long to rebuild a motor

James writes:

>Two days to two years....
>
>>On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Gregory S. Youngblood wrote:
>>
>> Question, I'm thinking of attempting to rebuild my 74 spider's motor
>> (depends on Saturday's results). I've never done anything like this, and
>> I'm not a very experienced mechanic. Assuming I pull the engine out of the
>> car to do the rebuild, about how long will it take. I'm not looking for
>> exact numbers, just rough guesses. (74 spider, 2L, SPICA)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

James is right.  I did my '74 GTV over last winter, it was about 6 months open
to close.  What slowed me down?  Unforseen challenges, mid-project changes of
mind, finding other things that "really should be fixed while the engine is
out of the way", parts delays, machine shop time, money, work travel, life...
What helped?  The generous people on the digest, in AROO and at Centerline, my
patient wife, and a couple tools from my stepdad.  What would have helped even
more?  A heater in the garage!

Should you do it?  Absolutely, you'll gain appreciation for your car and the
people who designed it, and you'll be much more confident about driving it
like the rev-happy curve junky that it is!

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS