RE: Driveshaft balancing

I just received from Carson Damm a copy of TSB 89.01, Group 15, May 1 1989,
issued by ARDONA, saying:

"During assembly of the GTV 6 and Milano models of Alfa Romeo the factory
precision balances the driveshaft on the car. The balance of the driveshaft is
adjusted by using different thickness nuts and/or washers on one bolt.

"All hardware and driveshaft components must be refitted exactly as the
factory assembled them.

"Whenever removing or disconnecting the driveshaft from the vehicle mark the
position of all mounting hardware and driveshaft components so that they can
be returned to their original position to preserve driveshaft balance."

I thank Carson (and anyone else whose similar information is in transit) for
giving a solid answer to a sincere question. And of course thank Rich Hirsch
for observing and recording and for passing on his observation.

John Fielding adds that he has it on good authority that the local plant in
South Africa which assembled the Alfa Romeo transaxle cars did use extra
washers on the clutch yoke bolts to get final balance. I am still not
connecting how fine-tuning balance-weight nuts on the clutch yoke or flywheel
would affect the balance of the driveshaft, rather than the rotating masses of
the crankshaft assembly or clutch assembly, but that won't be the first or
last time that I just didn't get something that should be gettable.

I hope nobody (or few, anyhow) misunderstands or really minds my pressing such
questions. Unless I have total faith in the authority of the source I feel
that it is usually justified, and often useful, to ask for chapter and verse
on anything which can reasonably be doubted or misunderstood.

Sincerely,

John H.