Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:45:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
Subject: "SZ-style" DeDion bushing in an Alfetta

up until last year, it'd been my opinion that
substituting heim joints
or
other spherical bearings in SCCA IT suspensions was a
highly
questionable
practice. i have spent a little time discussing it
with Kurt Weiss of
the
SCCA Competition board, and he's persuaded me that the
Comp board
intended
such bearing substitutions to be legal as long as the
control
arms/other
suspension members and the mounting points are not
modified to
facilitate
the swap.

therefore, the SZ-style DeDion bushing has suddenly
gotten my
attention, as
it's evidently a legal IT mod. has anyone gotten it to
work in an
Alfetta?
IAP's catalog claims it works, but Alfettas generally
require a
different
bushing there from the GTV-6/Milano.

i'm also pondering substituting spherical bearings of
some kind in the
front suspension inner mounting points.

thanks in advance,
  richard