Re:measuring the piston clearance?

Ralph Fetsch writes
>which I agree is the
>only way to measure, be sure to measure the top, middle and bottom of
the
>liner and at 90 degrees apart for a total of 6 measurements. Likewise
>measure the pistons the same way. This will not only give you the piston
>clearance but let you know if the liner and/or pistons have worn oval or
not
>and needs to be replaced.

Of coarse you are right, As I do this sort of thing for a living I tend
to assume a base level of understanding and so started in the middle of
the process.  Before measuring piston to liner clearance, I would have
already measured liner ovality and taper with a dial bore gage.

>The pistons are MANUFACTURED oval.

Yes they are, and the measurement area for the piston is clearly stated
in the shop manual.  Again an assumption about base knowledge.

Chris Hall