To bump my bumper, or not to . . .

    I see a chrome rear bumper off of a 74 Spider on eBay.  (If you're
interested, bid away.)  I've thought about bidding on it and, if
successful, trying to put it on my 77 Spider, but I seem to remember
that someone has said it is not an easy fit and considerable fabrication
would be necessary.  My rear bumper has two cracks -- I'm hoping this is
not from the metal inside corroding and pushing the rubber off.
    I know my 2A Spider is considered the ugly ducking of the Spider
range because of what some have called the "black baby-bumpers" it
sports.  But I usually opt for historical integrity; every specimen is
an example of its time and should remain generally true to what it was,
and since this 77 was made the year I got my driver's license, it has a
certain personal significance for me.
    Long story short.  I guess I'd consider replacing my bumper (or
bumpers) with chrome ones (I'm sure they're quite rare) if it were a
straightforward fit.  Now someone talk me out of it.

Doug
Richmond Virginia

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of dharris.vcf]