Peugeot 605 is the 164 Lookalike

Though there were never any formally imported in to the States that I know
of, the more interesting Peugeot to compare to the 164 is the 605. It shared
the same basic dimensions and had a Pininfarina body that was a dead ringer
for the 164, except for the front grill/hood treatment. I pulled next to one
in Los Angeles in 1992 in my then-new 164S, and the driver motioned me into
a nearby gas station. He was a Dutch diplomat, and had brought his personal
car with him to the States. We spent some time checking out each others
cars, and then drove off.

The owners story was similar to what was stated on the Digest: He heard
that when Alfa was in financial trouble before Fiat money shored them up, PF
hedged their bets and sold the basic design to Peugeot for their 405 and 605
cars. When Alfa managed to pull through, the design emerged as the 164 we
know today.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
ARA