Re: Air coming out of the cam cover?

>In the general interest,  as well as my own.. (I'm likely to be doing
>this on my 77 Spider soon)
>could you tell us the proper way to measure the piston clearance?   I
>certainly don't want to rebuild
>the motor twice..

The wrong is with a feeler gage.  you see many instructions telling you
to put a feeler gage between piston and liner.  I can get a 0.10mm
difference depending on how hard I pull on the gage.  The correct way is
to measure the piston with an outside micrometer, and the liner with a
inside mic.  Make sure they are calibrated to a common standard.  To
remove this possible error, I ignore the markings on the inside mic, and
measure it with the out side mic i used to measure the pistons.  In this
instance the inside mic could be replaced with a snap gage.  Inside
measurements are hard. they require a lot of "feel".  to develop the
"feel" i would suggest measuring them a lot, until you get repeatable
readings.

Hope that helps.
Chris Hall