leaky four-cylinder water pumps

Regarding the leaky four-cylinder water pump discussion, in addition to the
porosity mentioned, at least one batch of 1750/2000 pumps has come through
one of the major US Alfa parts places in the last year that had the
bottoming pad (steel pressed into the aluminum body of the pump) for the
tach drive pressed in poorly or not at all, so that oil leaked freely around
it.  I suffered one of these on my Berlina, and heard of several more
through a local Alfa shop that also found out the hard way about the leak
(after installation).  The shop said the fix they used, which has worked,
was, before installing the pump, to tap out the pin, clean the area out and
dry it, then epoxy the pin in place from the inside. Let it dry, the
assemble and install the pump.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register