Re: Honing cylinder liners - good or bad??

John,

Thank you very much for your thoughts on honing.  It is timely for me since
I am in the middle of an engine rebuild for my '86 spider.  Some additional
questions if you will.

The engine has 110K on the original pistons and rings and was not burning or
using oil excessively before the teardown so everything is standard.  I
checked the gap on the new Deves rings  and It is .016 inches which is right
at the lower end of the range Deves recommends for my piston size.  There is
very little ridge that I can detect.

Now the questions,  I have a typical DYI hone that is used with the electric
drill.  I have read about different  grades of honing stones (course, fine ,
etc.) but they seem to apply to professional shop type hones.    For my DYI
effort ( I use to race/rebuild Giulietta's years ago) how do I know how much
honing is enough; do I need to use a "honing oil"?; is this the same as a
light maching oil or such; should I hone with the cylinders in the car or
remove?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don