Milano turn signal cancellation

Can anyone tell me how to fix the turn signal cancellation on a Milano? I too the column surround off and I can see the little doo-dad on the column--it almost looks like it would work if I glued this to the column. Or would a new switch solve the problem? Unless the cancellation doo-dad is supposed to be fixed to the column, I don't see how it's supposed to work.

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6
('87 Milano belongs to a friend)