Re: Headers cause emissions changes, why?

>Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:54:16 -0700
>From: George Graves <gmgraves@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Headers cause emissions changes, why?
>
>Actually, the only real-world advantage to fitting tubular headers on
>a V-6 car like a Milano or GTV-6 is to end manifold cracking. These
>cast iron headers do tend to crack - a lot. OTOH, one can also get a
>few more horsies at higher RPMs with the tubular headers, but not
>anything much in the mid-range. One would probably get more of a
>horsepower boost from fitting a K&N filter to the stock airbox than
>one would get from new headers.

Hi George,

I would have to disagree with you here. A K&N drop in panel filter in a
stock unmodified 2.5 V6 lower section airbox will yield very minimal
gains. A 3.0 lower section airbox with the bigger square inlet may give
a little more gain than that of the 2.5. When I put on the K&N panel
filter 4 years ago, I didn't feel as much of an improvement compared to
when I fitted the SZ headers on my car.

Headers give much more gains compared to a K&N air filter, especially
the CSC headers. SZ headers are more for ease of fitting. For max
power, I was told by a reputable Alfa tuner from Australia that 1.75"
primaries are required. But so far, the SZ headers with it's smaller
primaries are doing just fine and I love the fact that it fits great.

Zamani
'87 75 3.0
(no AFM, now has MAP sensor)
http://health.yahoo.com