Porous water pumps

Jon Inge says:  I'd recommend giving your new pump a very careful once-over
visually before
fitting it.  The first one I fitted to my '86 Spider was part of a bad batch
with a small casting flaw that weeped oil steadily, right through a small
pin hole in the metal and onto the fan...

Let me second this.  I had exactly the same experience, but assuming somehow I
was the one at fault, I removed the thing THREE times before I spotted the oil
leak with a mirror.  I have heard of several others since then, too.

This is not the same as the Turbodelta car's water pump this week, which the
p.o. had replaced leaving about 1/2 the old gasket in place.  Duh.

I'm sure others have observed that most of the niggling problems on old Alfas
are due to improper maintenance or repair, sometime in the last 3 or 4
decades.  That has certainly been my experience.

Bests,
Joe