Spider water pump

I know that in the past I have skimmed over dozens of discussions about spider
water pump removal problems.  Problem is, I didn't have a water pump problem
so I didn't take notes.  Sorry for bringing this up again but I have a really
good engine ready to go back in to my spider but I want to put a new water
pump on before it goes back in the car.  I can't get the crankshaft pulley nut
to let go (big surprise to all who have been there).  I have the motor sitting
on a piano dolly and the tranny and flywheel are off.  No good way to secure
the crank from the back.
I'm thinking of taking the flywheel to a machine shop to use as a pattern to
make a brace that will bolt up to the rear of the crank and have two angled
legs to sit on the floor on each side of the engine to brace it for my six
foot cheater bar.
Surely this has been done so many times that there is a simple solution.  I
really don't want to put the engine back in the car and use the starter to try
to break the bolt loose (that scares me to think about it).

Does anyone besides me find it odd that the IAP spider workshop manual shows
the water pump coming off with the crank pulley in place???

Kevin Smith
86 Spider (can't wait to get it back on the road)
87 Milano (head gaskets blowing all the coolant out of the overflow bottle)
2000 S2000