From: John Hertzman [mailto:johnhertzman@domain.elided]
Sent: 25. juli 2002 17:09
To: alfa@domain.elided
Cc: Henrik Hasager Johansen
Subject: Giulietta Nuova and other 116 berlina interchanges

I did not (and do not) mean to argue with Henrick Johansen, who is as
amiable a person as one could want in a discussion group, but I did, and
do, feel that his statement that "Most, if not all, bodypanels are a
straight fit" between the Giulietta Nuova and the 75 is an exaggeration.
The doors are almost certainly identical, and much of the basic
structure would be also, but I doubt that the roof or any of the
exterior panels in front of or to the rear of the doors would be. In
some respects the basic structural layout seems to be the most deviant
of the four 116 sedans; e.g. the Alfetta, 90, and 75 all have the spare
tire horizontal in a well in the floor, but all of the cutaway drawings
I have seen of the Giulietta show the spare vertical at the right side
of the luggage compartment, with the muffler crosswise behind the
transaxle; but the engine bay and the central floor pan are clearly very
similar.
I am sure that the V6 engine and driveline would be as easy a fit as in
any of the 116 platforms, and that with appropriate modifications the
24-valve engine of the 164 Super also would fit, along with most if not
all of the chassis tweaks of SZ that one wanted to pay for, which could
make an interesting car, as the Giulietta Nuova (like all of 116 sedans,
including all of the V6 versions) is appreciably lighter than the SZ,
but that is an entirely different line of speculation.
Back on track, I agree completely with Henrik that "With regard to the
production numbers of pretty much any production Alfa, it seems that
they are based on what book you have in front of you at the time." I
suspect that if two books agreed with each other it would mean that one
had cribbed from the other, not that they were both separately using a
single set of factory data.
John H.