Giulietta Nuova and other 116 berlina interchanges

I did not (and do not) mean to argue with Henrick Johansen, who is as amiable
a person as one could want in a discussion group, but I did, and do, feel that
his statement that "Most, if not all, bodypanels are a straight fit" between
the Giulietta Nuova and the 75 is an exaggeration. The doors are almost
certainly identical, and much of the basic structure would be also, but I
doubt that the roof or any of the exterior panels in front of or to the rear
of the doors would be. In some respects the basic structural layout seems to
be the most deviant of the four 116 sedans; e.g. the Alfetta, 90, and 75 all
have the spare tire horizontal in a well in the floor, but all of the cutaway
drawings I have seen of the Giulietta show the spare vertical at the right
side of the luggage compartment, with the muffler crosswise behind the
transaxle; but the engine bay and the central floor pan are clearly very
similar.

I am sure that the V6 engine and driveline would be as easy a fit as in any of
the 116 platforms, and that with appropriate modifications the 24-valve engine
of the 164 Super also would fit, along with most if not all of the chassis
tweaks of SZ that one wanted to pay for, which could make an interesting car,
as the Giulietta Nuova (like all of 116 sedans, including all of the V6
versions) is appreciably lighter than the SZ, but that is an entirely
different line of speculation.

Back on track, I agree completely with Henrik that "With regard to the
production numbers of pretty much any production Alfa, it seems that they are
based on what book you have in front of you at the time." I suspect that if
two books agreed with each other it would mean that one had cribbed from the
other, not that they were both separately using a single set of factory data.

John H.