A/C Re-Conditioning

The A/C system in my 82 Spider still blows, but the air is only a few degrees lower than the ambient temperature. I saw a $35US conversion kit for R134a which begins by saying you should have your freon evacuated. One local A/C shop here wanted $30CDN just to diagnose what was not working, $15 more to evacuate the system and still more ($200 in total) to convert to R134a.

Has anyone made the switch using the Interdynamics retrofit and charging kit? Where are the low and high pressure service ports to attach the new adapters? How can you tell if you have any Freon left in the system, and if so, how do you get it out?

Brian Pleet
82 Spider