Lumpy idle when cold

I recently replaced the head on my 85 Spider Veloce. The car started up but
ran lousy, I found some vacuum leaks apparently caused by moving the brittle
hoses around when swapping the head out. After the obvious leaks were
repaired the car ran better but when it was cold I had to keep on the
throttle until it warmed up. I messed with the butterfly valve not knowing it
was not intended to be the idle adjuster. Then I messed with the idle
adjustment nut. All I accomplished was to have the car idle ok when cold then
race when warm. Finally I found an adjustment on the aux air valve and opened
this up, closed down the butter fly valve and idle screw. The car now comes
up to speed when cold and settles down when warm.

The shop manual shows a procedure to adjust the butterfly valve with a flow
meter. Is there a method to set the butterfly valve without a flow meter? My
car runs ok, but I'm not sure if I simply adjusted a bunch of stuff only to
compensate for another air leak or other problem. The other concern is that
the exhaust smells rich, but I don't have a way to measure this either.
Should I just drive it and be thankful it runs ok, or are these signs that
something may still be wrong?

Thanks,

Joe
85 Spider