Re: knocking sound on spider

       I am not going to try and diagnose noises over the Internet.  However,
the cause could be valve clearances.  It is more likely a loose timing chain.
       Checking valve clearance is not hard at all.  In fact, I recommend
pulling the valve cover about every other oil change to clean out the half
quart of dirty oil that resides in the cam galleys.  Be careful to not tear
the valve cover gasket and it should be reusable.  I put anti seize on one
side of the gasket on assembly to help it come off the next time.
       While you are changing oil (all the dirty oil) it is quite easy to
check cam chain tightness, and cam timing.  It is a bit more work to check
valve clearance or lash, but not hard.

       The intake valves should be around 0.017 inches and the exhausts
should be 0.019 inches.  If the clearances are all below 0.022 or so, there
should not be any valve noise.  A tight valve should not be noisy, but a
loose one can be.
       I am running my 84 Alfa spider race car at 0.010 intake and 0.012
inches exhaust on the stock camshafts.  That is pretty tight, so if your
valves are all between about 0.008 inches and 0.022 inches, the car should
run OK.  But ideally they should be 17 and 19 thousandths.
       If the valve clearances are reasonably close, then write down the
measurements.  Next time you check them, if they have changed, you have
problems.  It has been my experience that Alfa valve clearances do not change
unless there are problems like a valve sucking into the seat or excess
camshaft wear.
       A more likely problem is that someone in the past did not adjust the
valves carefully.

       Adjusting the valves requires removal of the cam shaft, remove the cam
follower and the shim underneath of it.  Measure the shim (inside the
depression that holds it on the valve) and compute how much thicker or
thinner it needs to be to change the previously measured clearance to the
desired clearance.  Then go over to Vick in Fort Worth or to your local Alfa
mechanic and buy the required shims.
       You should have all ready written down the measured clearances.  Now
write down the measured thickness of the shim for each cylinder beside the
measured clearance.  The measured lash plus the measured shim thickness less
the desired lash gives the thickness of the needed shim.  I set this up in a
spread sheet to do the computations, but then I am an accountant and use
spreadsheets for everything.
       You may find that you can move shims around to achieve the desired
clearances for some of the cylinders.  Then you will probably find that you
only have to buy three or four shims to get everything to spec.  Play with
Alfas long enough and you will have a pretty good assortment of valve shims.
       You can also grind down the shims to the needed specification.  A
friend has a surface grinder that allows me to grind the shims perfectly flat
and to an accuracy of 0.0005 inches.  That works best when you have had the
valves ground and all the old shims are too thick.
       I do my measurements in inches as my feeler gauge and micrometer are
both in inches.  I also notice that I used the words valve clearance and
valve lash interchangeably, which in my understanding is quite correct
verbiage.
       Good luck.

Ciao,
Russ Neely