knocking sound on spider

To all,
I have a 79 spider that has developed a "tapping" sound that ios apparent at
low ipms when I take off, I have heard that it also gets faster but I cannot
hear it as much, possibly just because the engine sound drowns it out. Do
you think that I need a valve adjustment, or is there anything else I can
check? Also, if a valve adjustmewnt is needed, how difficult would this be
for me to tackle it myself? I have a brooklands alfa spider book and the
alfa owner's bible, should I take the plunge? My most recent accomplishment
was swapping out the water pump ( to give you an idea of my technical
ability).
As always, I loook forward to your response.
Pat Crawford
Dallas