Wiring diagrams

Okay, let me put it this way. EVERYONE should have a legible wiring
diagram for EVERY one of their Alfas.

True, if you have an older Alfa (and who doesn't?) you also should have
a parts book and factory shop manual. Since I don't have a parts book
for my own daily driver, we'll skip on to the next part of this
discussion.

There are two good reasons why you need this (wiring diagram) item in
your tool chest (figuratively speaking).

Number 1: No matter how well you keep your car maintained, there are so
many electrical connections on even the older Alfas, it is inevitable
eventually a short will occur. Before 'calling' the Digest first
(although I might have been guilty on this on occasion) get out the ohm
/ volt meter, along with your wiring diagram and trace the problem down.
I'd also recommend the wiring diagram and 'multitester' as part of one's
tool kit when traveling long distances. Might possibly save you a
loooong tow home. Which leads to...

Number 2: I wouldn't count on the shop you take your car to necessarily
have a wiring diagram for your model of Alfa. It's conceivable you might
save them many hours (which of course translates into many $$) by
bringing it along when you drop the car off with an electrical problem.

I'll be the first to admit I'm no electrical whiz. Suspect most of you
also fall under this category. To a certain degree, a good diagram is
like my old first reader "See Dick, See Jane'. This wire goes from here
to here and is obviously either a hot (+) wire (color) (or black)
ground. Does this coincide with your car in its current (pun intended)
condition? (Note: I'm kinda staying away from the ignition stuff,
there's a little more going on there than merely making sure A to B
'connect - let alone the Bosch electronic stuff').

Gene Brown was kind enough to email me this a.m. As he mentioned to the
Digest, he is certainly willing to make the '72 Montreal and '78 Spider
wiring diagrams available in PDF format. He continued with discussing
'formats'. Apparently the PDF format appears to be the most 'effective'
in that it the file is much smaller and the image size can be changed
without seriously degrading the image. I get lost Very quickly in
discussions such as this.

I'm not sure what the copyright is on the Alfa CD discs, but assume they
came from copyrighted material. Bottom line, can they be used to
reproduce quality hard copies?

If I understand correctly, both the national and 'local' AROC's have
libraries. Could their archives be made available to reproduce
'original' wiring diagrams - or have they been 'thumbed through' far too
often?

Today Tony Sims agreed to pull out a few dollars from his mattress for a
'74 USA-spec (115.01) GTV wiring diagram. It's a start.

Sure wish someone would step up to the plate and take over getting some
(if not all) of these diagrams reproduced.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA