Re: alfa-digest V8 #925

In a message dated 7/16/2002 4:51:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:42:22 -0400
> From: ltooz@domain.elided (LLe_2002)
> Subject: Clunking noise @ Front suspension????
>
> Hello all,
> My 91 Spider Veloce has clunking noise (like there are no shocks or
> suspension) when it goes over the bumps or warning blocks @ freeway center
> line. There are so many joints and bars in the suspension, I don't really
> know which one to replace, if replacing them all will cost me a fortune. I
> had the shocks changed, the steering seems fine. The tires wear out evenly,
> a little cupping from the bad old shocks. The shocks are new and good. The
> springs seem to be in good order (no sag or anything like that). On the
> straight road, everything is tight and the car handles well. I can leave
> with the way it is, but when went over the repeated blocks or bumps, it
> does make clunking noise which is very annoying. If someone had this
> problem before and fixed it somehow, please shine some tips.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis,
> 91 Spider Veloce,
> Sunnyvale, CA.

       Normally this turns out to be the "upper control arm caster bushing"
(IAP # 61015).  I have changed a lot more of these than I have ball joints
and sway bar bushings and sometimes they don't last very long at all.  That,
and they are a lot cheaper.

Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va.