Re: alfa-digest V8 #928 - Crankshaft Pilot Bearing

       Russ raises some good points on pilot bushing care and lubrication.  I
agree that the bushing appears to be made out of some porous copper/brass
material (almost like it's sintered) that carries lubrication.  I always
assumed the bushing manufacturer did the oil impregnation process, but that's
just a guess on my part - no first hand knowledge.
       I have seen no felt washer behind the bushing on any of the 105 series
clutches I've replaced and no reference in the Alfa manuals.  But I have seen
them in other cars - I think there's one in my '69 FBird in fact.  So adding
one to the Spider can only prolong the life of the pilot bushing.
       Regarding lubrication, the Spider Factory Manual (Chapter 12) only
mentions grease for the working surface of the throwout bearing and the
washer/socket joint of the fork.  But I agree that a little grease (thin
film) on the clutch splines and pilot bushing is a good idea (even though the
Spider Factory Manual doesn't mention it).
       I would echo Russ' comment on replacing the throwout bearing - in
fact, I think the throwout bearings go before the clutch disc and pressure
plate (mine have always been shot and feel like gravel whenever I pull the
transmission).  The pressure plates seem to be almost bulletproof - but if
the throwout bearing freezes up, it tends to $%^&-up the Rockford fingers on
the pressure plate.  Oh well!  Too soon old!  Too late smart!

Cheers,
Charlie

Subj:   Re: alfa-digest V8 #928 - Crankshaft Pilot Bearing