Re: alfa-digest V8 #928 - Crankshaft Pilot Bearing

Charlie,
     I disagree with your statement to not lubricate the pilot bushing.  A new pilot bushing is supposed to be boiled in oil to impregnate the oilite bushing with lubricant.  It is also supposed to have felt washer installed behind the bushing.  Read any shop manual for details.
     However, I have never had any problem with just putting a dab of wheel bearing grease inside the new or old pilot bushing and on the end of the transmission snout.  Do not use too much or it will sling off and get on the clutch disk, which can be very bad.
     Replacing the clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing and the pilot bushing all at the same time is probably good.  However, I have never purchased a new pressure plate.  I have thrown away some pressure plates, but have always been able to find good used ones for my Alfas.  A pressure plate and/ or flywheel may need to be surfaced on occasion.
     I have also had good luck running re lined clutch disks.  I even have one in my spider race car.
     I do always replace the throw out bearing when I change the clutch disk.
     Please note, that I am not a professional mechanic.  If I had to guarantee a clutch job, I would make the customer pay for new parts.  As a home mechanic, if something I fixed fails, then I know who to blame...

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City