Hazard warnings, both real and figurative

Being of the old persuasion, thought if one digressed enough, it would
solve all problems. Thus when I needed answers to what goes where
regarding emergency flasher switches, I whined, I cried, I screamed and
had a big tantrum. Unfortunately screaming doesn't carry well over the
Internet.

There was a deafening silence from The Group (that be all you).

So's this time I slightly moved up the food chain and virtually double
dared anyone to resolve the Arnold's unfortunate situation with their
'73 spider's hazard light switch.

Gadzooks! Replies!

Though John Hertzman cheated. May I quote myself (thank you): "I have
been a one man band in trying to get people to recognize that ABSOLUTELY
NONE (sorry about the yelling) of the Alfa wiring diagrams include
Specific numbers of where Specific wires are to be attached to hazard
light switches, ignition switches, flasher units, nor emergency flasher
units (they're all separate parts)."

John included an obscure list of an AR Service Bulletin. Cheater,
cheater. How many of you out there have this bulletin at your
fingertips? I don't see many hands, how about you John?

Da numbers Gots to be on the wiring diagram to really help. However, I
definitely printed out Mr. Cheaters list for my own edification.

Now I'm very puzzled with Andy Kress's comment, "I'll tell ya, reading
these diagrams ain't a job for anyone w/ astigmatism!" This was said
after solving the Arnold's riddle, briefly and succinctly.

Before the "...these diagrams..." comment fully sunk in, I figured, "Oh
right, Andy carries this information around in his vest pocket.

Once fully sunk in, I turned to the wiring diagram for my own car ('75
Alfetta GT). Sum bitch, there are teeny, tiny numbers by the various
connections on the wiring diagram's emergency flasher switch.

Went back to my photocopy of the wiring diagram of '72 to '74 spiders
purchased from IAP. There aren't any little bitty numbers to coincide
with the various wires.

My conclusion is that in the 'quick-and-'dirty' photocopying of wiring
diagrams, these very small numbers get lost - OR - wiring diagrams from
shop manuals are being reproduced and sold which don't have these
numbers on them in the first place.

As minor as these numbers might appear to be, take situations where
someone purchases an Alfa with a bundle of wires in one basket and
everything that was originally connected to them in another. Or, in my
case with a '69 Spider, all was assembled, but incorrectly. Your
mission, should you be stupid enough to take it, is make it all work.

Actually the client supplied a work book he'd made up, including the
wiring diagram from the ''69 Alfa CD'. It does not include the tiny
numbers, absolutely essential to rewire (correctly) one of these car's
emergency flasher system. Nor are all of the numbers included in John
Hertzman's DIN wiring codes.

Take the 69's emergency flasher relay (as opposed to the emergency
flasher switch, the flasher, and the emergency flasher unit). There are
three numbers - 31, 48, B67. On John's list, 31 is 'return to battery'.
It actually goes to ground. True, technically that is a return to
battery, but wouldn't one think on the + side? Maybe not. 48 on John's
list is 'Control of starting terminal at starter motor'. All I can say
is, I don't think so in this case. John's list does not include anything
for 67, let alone a B67. Actually B67 (green wire) goes to 86 on the
emergency flasher unit. 86 is listed in John's list as 'Drive system,
input start of winding'. Got that? As clear to you as it is to me?

Why am I visualizing 1,500 Digesters snoring away on top of their
keyboards? Trust me, kiddies, the day might well come when you
appreciate what us old folks (sorry John) are trying to do for you all.

Some hotshot out there with a stack of really pristine wiring diagrams
want to have them lovingly reproduced (including the itty, bitty, teeny,
tiny numbers)? Won't say you'll get rich, but charge enough to make up
your costs, and eventually your kids might benefit slightly.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA