Re: Grabby Heavy clutch pedal - only with engine on

I had a similar problem that i could not figure out until I changed the oil, when I found one of the crankshaft thrust washers hanging out the drain. I stuck a finger up and found another. The loss of the thrust washers allowed the crank to have significant fore and aft play. When I would push in the clutch, the crank would visibly move forward (as observed at the front pulley) which affected the clutch's ability to release. Amazingly, the engine ran pretty well, with no obvious problems other than he clutch. This produced really weird clutch symptoms. Suggest you monitor the crank while an assistant pushes in the clutch to diagnose this problem. Just one idea...

Kct, Powell, TN

At 09:24 AM 7/15/02 -0400, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:43:17 -0400
From: "Livio Passera" <livio@domain.elided>
Subject: Grabby Heavy clutch pedal - only with engine on

Fellow Digesters,

The patient is a 73 Berlina, with hanging pedals.

The symptoms are as follows:

With the engine off the clutch pedal feels great.
Smooth operation,  consistent pedal force throughout
its entire motion of travel.  Start the engine, and within
a minute or two (perhaps once the engine bay heats
up?) the pedal becomes heavy, the travel is not smooth
but creaky and "grabby" making smooth pedal releases
difficult and parking in tight spot, very interesting.
Turn the engine off, and pedal travel immediately returns
to normal.  The car is new to me, but the P.O. says
the master cylinder, clutch, throw-out bearing and
pressure plate were all recently changed.  The clutch
is a Sachs so presumably of good quality.

An Archive search has proven fruitless, any ideas
as always, would be greatly appreciated!

Livio Passera
Toronto, Canada
77 Spider
73 Berlina