gtv6 power window cable

I don't know if the GTV 6 power window cables are like the spiders, but I
replaced the cable in the driver door of my 91 Spider. Here's the article I
send to the digest in the past:

Having just replaced mine on my 91 Spider's driver's door and it only took
three times to get it right I now consider myself an expert by the school of
hard knocks.

I called Alfa Bill to get a new window regular and he suggested that I just
replace the cable and save $90.00, so I did here is the way I did it the
third time.

FIRST GET COPY OF HOW THE CABLE IS THREADED OVER THE VARIOUS PULLEYS.

After removing the door panel, disconnect the window from the cable, it is
held on by two bolts and nuts, pay attention to how these come off so you
replace them the same way they came off. Remove the window from the channel.
Them loosen the front window channel so you have room to remove the power
window motor and regulator as a unit, remove the window motor and regulator
in on piece. Remove the regulator from the motor and remove the old cable
and measure the length of the cable, mine was 10" 6" long ( if I remember
correctly).

You can get the cable from either Home Depot or Lowe's, buy a piece longer
than you will need. Lowe's has a small bag of assorted metal fittings that
you can crimp onto the end of the cable to keep it from coming out of the
holes, I'll call these keepers for want of a better term. I used the small
round one with a hole in the center.

Put the correct length cable through the holes in the drum on the regulator
and put the small round keepers on the end of the cable and crimp them on. I
used my wire crimper's and squeeze the handles in my vise to crimp it to the
cable. These keepers are very hard and do not crimp easy, but they also
don't come off.

Wind the cable onto the regular, one side of the drum gets wrapped clockwise
and the other side counter clockwise. While holding the cable on the drum
wrap, it with one layer of masking tape to hold the cable on the drum while
installing the motor and regular into the door.

Reassemble the regulator onto the motor and install it into the door.

Loosen the top rear pulley and slide it forward, and install the cable using
the diagram of the threaded cable over the pulleys. After the cable is on
the pulleys (assuming that the cable is the correct length) adjust the
pulley you loosen. After installing the cable run the cable up and down to
make sure it doesn't bind. Stop the cable in the full DOWN position and
install the window. Run the window up and down and make sure it doesn't
bind.

If every thing is okay grease the cable with White Lithium grease,
preferable that for marine use. You can pick it up at a boat or marine
store, it is water proof and won't wash off easy. After greasing, run the
window up and down, if everything is okay finish putting the door panel back
on.

If you've ever done this once, the second time shouldn't take much longer
then an hour or so. I got mine correct on the third try because the first
time I didn't use the keepers from Lowe's and when I tried tying the cable
in a knot and soldering it the cable was to short, but it worked. When I
went to Lowe's to get more cable I seen the bag of keepers, wish I would
have seen them the first time.

Cordova Ralph
Ralph Fetsch
Cordova Tennessee
1991 Spider Veloce w/auto
1964 Giulia 1600 Spider

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]