re: Worn out Alfetta clutch cylinder??

Marco -

Either the master or slave may be causing you grief.  My guess is that
it IS hydraulic.  Especially if the pressure to press the pedal is
greatly reduced.  Worst case scenario is that you will end up replacing
both cluth master (on the firewall) and the slave (down by the cluth
under the car).

My mechanic recommended replacing with new, rather than rebuilt.
Quality of rebuilds may vary, depending on who'se doing the work.

Maybe the fluid is old, and needs replacing.  Not a bad thing to do
every couple of years, anyway.  IF you are lucky, that may do the
trick.  If not, see above.

Best of luck in your endeavor,

Jay Negrin
76 Alfetta GT
ASO Southern California - still recuperating from Alfiesta! 2002 - My
first AROC-US national convention, and loved every minute I was there.
Well, most, at least.

Drivin' back from work today I suddenly could press the clutch pedal
down to the floor and had serious trouble shifting. After pressing the
pedal a
couple of times the pressure came back and shifting returned to normal.
This happened several times but luckily I got home safe.

The fluid containers are still full and there's no leakage below the
gearbox, so my guess is that the clutch cylinder (the cylinder 'behind'
the
pedal) is going south. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is it best to get a new one (Alfetta or early Milano/75) or buy an
overhauled cylinder? This car is an 1983 2.0 QO and has been my daily
driver
for the last 7 months. Anyone got a serial number by any chance?

TIA

Grtz.

Marco (The Netherlands)

1983 2.0 QO